Sunday, February 20, 2011

Pork Chop Yumminess

Is yumminess a word?! It is now! My husband and mother can both tell you I am not a fan of pork chops. So you can imagine my husbands reaction when we went to the grocery store last week and I tossed a package of center cut bone-in pork chops in the cart. "You're buying pork chops?!" "Yes, yes I am."

This wonderful recipe has changed the way I think about pork chops. A few weeks ago I attempted to make a white wine reduction sauce based on what little I could remember from the food network. Needless to say I failed, miserably. It tasted aweful! I think my mistake was not letting it reduce enough. Anywho, this dijon mustard and herb sauce was FANTASTIC! I got the recipe from my new favorite blog which can be found HERE.

Recipe:

  • 4-6 Center cut bone-in pork chops
  • 1 tbsp butter (i used light butter)
  • 3/4 cup chicken stock (low sodium)
  • Half a medium onion
  • 1 tbsp dijon mustard
  • 3-4 tbsp chopped fresh herbs
  • Salt and Pepper
Now lets talk pork chops. The boneless pork chops you get at the grocery store are usually a few inches thick and take a while to cook. For this recipe I recommend the bone-in pork chops that are about an inch in thickness. While they may not be as filling, the bone gives the meat more flavor! Begin by seasoning with salt and pepper then cooking the pork chops in 1 tbsp of light butter (olive oil would be an even healthier choice). After about 7 minutes turn and cook the other side for another 7 minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the chops. Internal temp. should be 160 degrees. Be careful as it is very easy to overcook thin pork chops such a these. Once the pork chops are done, place them on a platter and set aside to rest.

Turn the heat up to a medium/high heat. Add the onion, chicken stock and dijon to the same pan you cooked the pork chops in. After about 2-3 minutes throw in the chopped herbs (i used parsley and cilantro) and simmer for another 1-2 mintues. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Once the sauce has reduced to about a half a cup pour over pork chops and serve!

Trust me, this is a super delicious way to make pork chops. Especially for picky eaters like myself! It also takes under 20 minutes to put dinner on the table.

I served this with brown rice and corn. ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. Another SUPER, and I mean SUPER, easy and incredibly good pork chop recipe is just marinating the chops in Italian dressing all day and then cooking them at night. They are so juicy and moist. My mom taught me that trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm thats a good idea! my mom did that all the time with chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. easy dose it, experience is the best teacher. Another SUPER, and I mean SUPER, easy and incredibly good pork chop recipe is just marinating the chops in Italian dressing all day and then cooking them at night. They are so juicy and moist. My mom taught me that trick.

    ReplyDelete